What is intensive counseling?
Intensive counseling at Restoring the Soul is a powerful model of therapeutic soul care which is time limited, goal driven, depth oriented, and highly concentrated.
Intensive counseling may best be understood in contrast to traditional counseling where appointments are scheduled in 50 minute sessions.
- Time Limited – Traditional counseling has no predetermined endpoint and can be sporadic, unfocused and inefficient. At Restoring the Soul every intensive has a fixed endpoint one or two weeks out. As daily three hour sessions build upon one another, both client and counselor gain clarity and tremendous focus.
- Goal Driven – Traditional counseling can take weeks or months to establish clear goals and a realistic plan. At Restoring the Soul we work with clients in advance to establish clear goals before, during and after the intensive. Intensive counseling allows the counselor to “begin with the end in mind” in a way that is virtually impossible with traditional counseling.
- Depth Oriented – The author of The Book of Proverbs wrote that “the purposes of a person’s heart are deep waters.” Depth oriented counseling deals with issues below the waterline–motives and purposes of the heart which are frequently outside our awareness. Traditional counseling may or may not be depth oriented. But even in cases where it is, the course of counseling can last anywhere from six months to several years. Intensive counseling at Restoring the Soul addresses core issues below the waterline in a matter of days.
- Highly Concentrated – A concentrated substance–like orange juice or dishwashing liquid–has had all non-essential ingredients removed. In the same way, intensive counseling removes all “non-essential ingredients” for the duration of the intensive. By stepping away from normal routines and responsibilities–like work, family and managing day to day life, clients are able to bring all their resources and strengths to bear upon their situation.
What are the benefits of intensive counseling?
The overall benefit of intensive counseling is that participants can make extraordinary gains in a relatively short period of time. In fact, many alumni of our intensive counseling programs report “life changing breakthrough” as a result of their experience with Restoring the Soul.
Other benefits may include:
- Addressing and significantly healing trauma.
- Identifying and treating addictions at the root level.
- Restoring and strengthening broken marriages.
- Preventing divorce when all other options appear to be exhausted.
- Cultivating one’s capacity for intimacy with God, self and others.
- Learning paradigms and practices to help sustain vitality, joy and shalom.
What is the format for intensive counseling?
The in-depth format of a soul care intensive allows couples and individuals to meet in half day blocks over one or two weeks in order to focus on the critical life issues at hand.
- Participants meet approximately 3 hours each morning in sessions tailored to address the needs of your individual situation.
- Extended time away from normal pressures and responsibilities creates an environment to significantly address issues in a short amount of time.
- Daily assignments or other exercises are given for outside of session homework.
- Intensive focus creates the opportunity to move forward with clarity, direction, renewed purpose and substantial healing of issues and wounds.
- Each intensive is designed with ample time to explore personal and relational brokenness while emphasizing a well-worn path toward wholeness in Christ.
- The balance of the time is often spent simply enjoying God’s beautiful creation in the Rocky Mountains.
Who should attend a counseling intensive?
Our intensive counseling programs were originally designed as a life changing venue for Christian leaders. However, nearly one thousand men and women from a variety of backgrounds have taken advantage of the intensive format.
- pastors and ministers, parachurch leaders, missionaries
- retired and active duty military personnel
- physicians and healthcare workers
- first responders such as firefighters and police officers
- executives, entrepreneurs and business persons
- motivated laypersons of any kind
Attendees have traveled from as far away as Africa, Europe, Asia, South America, the Middle East and from around the US and Canada.
What types of issues and concerns are addressed?
Attendees generally fall into one of two categories. The first are those for whom some aspect of life is undeniably broken. Instead of a “tune-up” they need an overhaul. Issues addressed have included the need for healing from:
- marital issues such as conflict, communication or intimacy
- adultery, sexual addiction or struggles with pornography
- difficulties with intimacy
- burnout and exhaustion from ministry
- spiritual abuse or feelings of disillusionment
Others attend an intensive because they have a longing for more. Instead of an overhaul they need a “tune-up.” Some of these issues have included:
- strengthening or deepening intimacy in an already good marriage
- spiritual direction and/or deepening intimacy with God
- understanding barriers to living fully alive and engaged
What specific programs are offered?
Restoring the Soul offers two programs to meet your specific needs. All intensives are are held in Littleton, Colorado – the gateway to the Rocky Mountains where breathtaking scenery and majestic mountains abound.
One Week Intensive
This format involves meeting 3 hours per day, Monday through Friday.
- designed for couples or individuals
- soul care or spiritual direction that is “proactive” and “preventive”
- no active crisis or significant present brokenness
- “tune-up” as opposed to an “overhaul”
- frequently used by leaders on a sabbatical, missionaries on furlough or for directed spiritual transformation
Two Week Intensive
This format also involves meeting 3 hours per day, Monday through Friday.
- designed for couples or individuals
- soul care and counseling that is “reactive” and “restorative”
- dealing with a significant personal, marital or ministry crisis or issue
- “overhaul” as opposed to “tune-up”
- this is our most frequently chosen intensive to address sexual, relational or ministry brokenness
What can I expect during the intensive?
We personally tailor every soul care intensive to your unique situation–no cookie cutter programs and no hoops to jump through.
- We quickly foster an atmosphere of safety and grace that facilitates deep change, healing and renewal.
- We unequivocally honor and respect your need for privacy as a Christian leader–no group sessions with other couples or individuals.
Where do I stay while in Denver?
Restoring the Soul works with a number of hotels near our ministry center which offer discounted rates. All travel, lodging and meal expenses are the responsibility of the attendee and are not included in the soul care intensive fee.
What are the fees for an intensive?
You will find our fee schedule if you scroll down on our home page here.
Are scholarships available to help defer the cost?
Although we do not offer direct scholarships, Restoring the Soul is able to receive donations on your behalf from third parties with whatever funds donated being applied toward the cost of your intensive counseling program.
Over the past twelve years nearly half of our intensive counseling clients from around the world have received assistance from third parties such as a sponsoring church, supporting organization, foundation, family member or friend. What we’ve learned is that when someone with a need is willing to ask their own community for help, amazing things happen.
Here’s how it works. Since 2003 Restoring the Soul has been an IRS approved 501-c-3 Charitable Organization. Therefore, after communicating your intentions and financial need to key persons in your community, any donation made on your behalf to Restoring the Soul will be applied toward your weekend intensive fee. So, whether someone donates $100.00 or the entire fee, the donor will receive a receipt for a tax deduction and you will have the donation applied to your fee.
With whom do I meet?
Restoring the Soul presently has three counselors who provide intensive counseling. Counselors are assigned and scheduled based on a combination of factors including availability, the best fit, and presenting issues.
Is follow up available by phone or internet?
Yes. In order to to help you maintain the gains you have made we proactively offer follow-up over the phone, Skype and FaceTime.
Begin Your Healing Journey
Contact Restoring the Soul Ministries today for a free no obligation consultation. Use the form below to begin the process. Our goal is to see you become all God designed you to be.